Here's how I stayed sober (seriously...every day is a battle. You addicts know how that is)
Did my dailies DAILY. That's why we call them dailies....you have to do them every day. I didn't WANT to every day. I did because if i don't I set myself up for relapse.
I contacted my sponsor every morning explaining what i studied and also every night before I went to bed stating how the day went. I like this check in. A week ago he told me flat out, "if you miss one day in the next 14 days I am dropping you." EEk.
All addicts need a good sponsor like that. A sponsor can tell you straight all day. And if you whine and moan and feel like he's picking on you....then you can have your pity party. Here's the thing about pity parties....NO ONE COMES TO THEM!! except for you of course.
Texted and called people every time my emotions were off. This is long before lust even shows up. You keep in tune with your emotions or if you're tired, hungry, or bored....we don't even have to run the rounds with lust. However, triggers happen all the time...since everything is a trigger. I had to say a special prayer before watching Star Trek. Yes, there were 2 scenes. Now, to the normal person, just 2 scenes. But I will lose my mind and act out a week later based on a scene that flashed before my eyes for 1.8 seconds.
I read scriptures/recovery literature every day....even on Friday and Saturday. I don't work those days and I am doing fun things that I enjoy as much as i possibly can on those days. This weekend...i FORCED myself to read something and to pray and ponder. Sometimes it is only 15 minutes. 15 minutes can do wonders.
I also went to my recovery meetings on Monday night, Thurday night, and Saturday morning. I also did some home teaching visits on Tuesday night and Sunday after church.
It's exhausting. Easy does it. But recovery requires ALOT of conscious work for me. It is akin to training for an Iron Man. (which i may do next year...)
Side note. Had a rough chat with a girl. The same one that I wrote a letter to a few weeks ago. She still wants to date and doesn't know how to proceed. I hate these chats. I hate telling a girl that I like and want to date that I can't.....and that I can't explain why. "I am working on some personal issues." But whether she understands or not, is irrelevant. I'm not dating and that is that.
In fact, i set up further ground rules.
- No alone time with a girl. Even if she is a 'friend'. The whole, "we'll just be friends" is garbage.
- I can go to activities and chat and even flirt, but no asking a girl out....not even for a Sunday stroll. It's too risky. I'm not sure I have ever met a girl that didn't think something of that.
- No dates until I have 100 days of sobriety OR if the spirit strongly encourages otherwise.
- No stupid texts to girls "just to see how they are doing" unless I'm sure that it is a harmless text. This is hard to know for me. I texted the girls that I home teach just to see how they've been. They have no interest in me which is great. I like girls that have zero interest in me.
So recovery continues....bloody slow...I don't know about you all but one day at a time is slow. One year = 365 days. But I can't think about that. Just today. Just work what I need to today. Surrender in the moment. There is no surrender in advance. There is no surrender in the abstract. 3 different guys at my meeting Saturday got multiple year chips; two with 2 years and 1 with 3 years. We even sing "Happy Birthday".
This addiction still sucks. I hate it. I hate how it messes up all my thinking and stunts my progress in life. Just today while checking cycling results over the weekend. (Tour of Italy stages and Tour of California wrapped up), i get triggered by the beautiful podium girls. They are too attractive for me. I can't handle it. They have nothing to offer me. I closed it down.
Yay! I'm so glad you had a good week. I don't want this to come off sounding condescending but I'm proud of you!
ReplyDeleteKeep calling/texting/surrendering! You'll get 100 days. You'll get 1000!
I love your list of four things -I love how #1 and #4 both have the word "just" in them. I catch myself so many times saying, "just" "just" "just"... and I know that word is enemy territory!
ReplyDeleteI was just coming back to comment on your blog and then this comment stood out! I've been eliminating the word "just" from my vocabulary lately, and all because I seem to diminish how I'm truly feeling by using the word just. "I'm just feeling tired..." Or "I'm just in a grumpy mood." But emotions ARE a big deal, and do not need to be downplayed with a "just" like they don't matter. Anyway, that's something you're kinda teaching me, Warrior cousin.
DeleteThis whole post made me smile:-)
ReplyDeletei love so many realities in here.
ReplyDeleteespecially texting and contacting people as soon as your emotions feel off, before it gets to real temptation phase. so awesome. you're great at being honest with yourself and taking action.
these are fantastic boundaries it sounds!
i feel like you and p. are in similar spots (you are a lil ahead of him it seems), i wish you guys could be friends! =]
keep up with your awareness. you are in recovery.
I'd be glad to connect with him. I had to call and text Pete (Jane's husband) like 5 times today. I would have lost for sure. The cravings are too much for me to handle alone. (for any addict)
Delete3 thoughts:
ReplyDelete1) Personal study was/is so huge for me too! It helps get the spirit and connect with God, but also it's so dangerous not to do it in the morning because the dye is cast for the rest of the day with the trend of "I don't want to do that. I'm going to do what I want." One of the most dangerous phrases for me.
2) I saw star trek as well last night - it's great to have my wife there cause I just close my eyes when scenes like that come up (and usually it's pretty obvious when they do) and then she elbows me when it's good. It's a good system. I hate that almost every movie has to get their 20 seconds of sex in even though it usually has nothing to do with anything. barf.
3) keep it up! Keep seeking power and healing through Christ and keep admitting your inadequacies to Him. Things will click.
ps - one of the words I had to type to prove I wasn't a robot was "victories." That's a good sign, right? :)