What an intense weekend.
Yet, it was a good weekend. Recovery is starting to work. (not to jinx myself). Here is the low down. So for a late Christmas present me, brother,
older sister decided to take my younger sister to see a Cirque du Soleil
concert in delightful Las Vegas.
I really wanted to do it. I am a huge fan of their shows.
Never had seen one live though, but we had rented the DVDs of the
performances. I am just in awe at the
physical ability and talent of these performers.
Well, we spent the majority of the day in St George visiting
family. I really did NOT want to spend
any time cruising Vegas. I hate the
place, for obvious reasons. My older
sister knows of my addiction and I tipped her off beforehand that I wanted to
avoid ‘the Strip’ if possible. (what a
terrible name for a road…) I also let my
sponsor know and about 5 other guys.
We got to Vegas with about 90 minutes to kill. My little sis hadn’t seen the lights and the
fountains and the great and spacious buildings.
So I had to endure walking from Treasure Island to the Bellagio and
back. (p.s. those fountains are
sweet!) I had to pray non stop!! Constantly averting my eyes. Luckily, I am a huge fan of architecture so I
tried to look up the whole time. (Don’t
look down because the ground is covered in salacious material)
We stopped to get food….(in Mcdonald’s) and I texted several
people. Everyone was giving positive encouragement.
It’s kind of interesting to think that there are so many
people going to Vegas and loving it and having such a ‘good time’ and drinking
and all this visual garbage. I am okay if I never go to this place ever again.
Well, even during the performance, which was not erotic by
any means. There were a couple of female dancers throughout the show with not
much on. Talented and strong women. But yes, attractive. I acknowledged
that. I had to pray during the show as
well. And lust wanted me to give me so
badly….”come on it’s part of the show! She’s not TRYING to be all sexy”. It didn’t matter. I couldn’t focus on that. I
survived. I made more contacts after the
show was over.
Then the aftermath before going to sleep. I had to write a
journal entry and get it all out. While
saying my prayers I just got viciously attacked. I had to plead and plead with
God to let these images go. Everything
thing that entered my system throughout the evening and also any image I’ve
ever seen was fair game. This lust had
entered my system despite my best efforts.
I honestly did not want trouble but whether you intend to or not…..if
you see a bad image, then it’s going into your system. I had to get it all out. It is exhausting.
Fortunately, I was so super tired that I fell right asleep
(and my dreams were weird and full of triggering scenes and images…..sometimes
we get no reprieve even when we sleep)
Church in the morning. More intense prayer during the
sacrament.
I made it. I stayed sober.
I made a few phone calls that evening and went to a meeting. The meeting was awesome. Lots of honest
shares. I shared my weekend and got it all out.
I have done some hard things in my life and these kinds of
experiences have got to top the chart.
Here’s to a sober Monday!
WOW! Way to go dude! That would seriously be tough. It really is so annoying that awesome things like Cirque du Soleil has to be triggering. So lame. But seriously great job keeping in contact with your support and sticking through, praying, etc.
ReplyDeleteNo way I was in Vegas too this weekend, albeit I was at a rugby tournament, much less temptation going on there. Congrats on staying strong and hanging in there.
ReplyDeleteDang man I was watching that on TV!! I would have much rather gone to that!
Delete